主要特点与优势（ major features and advantages）
- 全日制三年学费总计港币四十万八千圆 （约人民币三十三万元），平均每学期港币六万八千圆。
Engineering Doctorate (EngD)
Engineering Doctorate is a 3-year full-time or 5-year part-time postgraduate programme co-hosted by the Departments/Division in Biomedical Engineering, Computing, Electrical Engineering, Electronic and Information Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
This programme is targeted for those who are in or are aspiring to be in senior management
or principal research and development positions
in companies/organisations that are involved
in science, technology and engineering. The
curriculum is designed to improve the candidates'
skills in management of innovation and technology,
enhance professional competence and expertise
in specific engineering fields and strengthen
capabilities in research, innovation and technology
transfer from a practical perspective.
The programme comprises two equally
weighted components: coursework and thesis.
The coursework aims at reinforcing and
expanding candidates' breadth of knowledge in management of innovation and advanced technologies. The thesis, which is company/organisation related, should make a significant contribution and/or provide innovative insights into professional practice in an engineering discipline.
The award of “Doctor of Engineering” will be granted on successful completion of all the coursework and the thesis. Graduates can use the title “Dr”.
• A Master's degree in an engineering discipline, which is associated with the coverage of the hosting department/division (under exceptional circumstances, admission may be granted to holders of good Bachelor's degrees with Honours in a relevant engineering discipline).
• All applicants are expected to have substantial and relevant work experience. They must have company sponsorship. This does not necessarily need to be financial support, but permission to work on a company-related problem/project for the thesis is normally necessary, although the provision of a company sponsorship letter can be waived in exceptional cases. Alternatively, candidates can conduct a research/study that has been requested by the government, an industrial sector or a professional body/association.
• Applicants are also expected to demonstrate maturity, motivation, commitment and skill in communicating in English.• Applicants who obtain a degree from a university of which the language of instruction is not English are expected to fulfil the following minimum English proficiency requirement:
• A score of 80 or above (on the Internet-based test), or 550 or above (on the paper-based test) in the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL); or
• An overall Band Score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS); or
• Other equivalent qualifications to be considered by the Faculty.
• Candidates are required to pass 5 Compulsory Subjects and 3 Elective Subjects, with a minimum Award GPA (AGPA) of 3.0, and complete a thesis.
Five Compulsory Level 6 Subject in block mode format (intensive course for a few days or over two weekends):1. Research Methodology
2. Global Operations Strategy
3. Systems Transformation & Analysis
4. Performance Management Systems & Design
5. Environment, Energy & Economy: Strategies for Sustainable Development
Three Elective Subjects including overseas study trips* (i.e. Technological Innovation & Strategy; Strategic Lean Management) and a pool of guided study subjects/ special topics related to the thesis.
* Candidates have to bear flight cost, hotel accommodation fees, travel insurance, etc. if they select overseas study trips as their electives.
Recommended study pattern
Full-time candidates will be charged HK$68,000 per semester for 6 semesters (which is the normal duration for completing the programme on a full-time basis) whereas part-time
candidates will be charged HK$8,500 per credit for 48 credits. The total tuition fee of the
48-credit programme is HK$408,000 for both full-time and part-time candidates.
Full-time candidates having taken all the 48 credits earlier than the normal registration
period (i.e. 6 semesters) will be required to pay the remaining fee when they submit their
thesis for oral examination.
The normal duration for the completion of thesis is consecutive six semesters. Approval has to be sought for extending the completion of thesis beyond six semesters and an extension fee of HK$25,500 per semester will be charged.